Friday, June 24, 2011

You 2 thought U2 was just ok? Me2.


I am sorry to say but I was underwhelmed with U2's performance at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.  Maybe it was because I had such high expectations, but I have a laundry list of complaints about the June 22nd performance.
1.  The audio was average at best.  There were many times that Bono's voice was distorted or muffled.
2.  My seats were actually obstructed my the monstrous stage.  Ironically, the spaceship stage was specifically designed to elevate more speakers and the video screens to allow better visibility.  However, the spacecraft's "legs" blocked the direct view of Bono's primary spot from my seat (My seat was on the 50 yard line on the club level.  I paid $280.)
3. Although the video and light accompaniments were excellent, they require precise timing which severely limits any spontaneity or creativity.  Everything was very rehearsed, predictable and overproduced.
4.  Bono's preaching is really a bit much.  I know he is a charitable man and stands for many great causes, but his commentary on Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese political dissident, for instance was unnecessary.  If he wanted to make a comment about violence, he should have brought up the 275 murders every year within a 20 mile radius of the spot he was standing due to our wonderful "War on Drugs" policy.  

Here were the positives:
1.  I helped show the world that Baltimore can sell-out an 80,000 seat stadium.  Maybe other bands will take notice and schedule a stop in B-More instead of bypassing us for the "sexier" Washington DC.
2.  The aforementioned light and video shows were pretty darn impressive.  Thank goodness, because I spent much more time watching the video screens than I did watching the band members.
3.  The Edge is really good.  There is a reason that Rolling Stone put him #24 on their list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time".
4.  The whole "space" concept was pretty cool.  The stage looked like a spaceship.  They walked onto the stage to David Bowie's "Space Odyssey".  Gabrielle Gifford's astronaut husband, Mark E. Kelly, introduced "Beautiful Day" from the Space Shuttle.  There were a few other space related cartoon videos.  And lastly, they exited the stage to Elton John's "Rocketman".
5.  The set list was very solid.  It is pretty hard to complain about a set list that included 6 of my 8 highest ranked U2 songs:
I Will Follow

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Beautiful Day

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Where The Streets Have No Name (especially exciting for us Ravens fans because that is the song they play at M&T Stadium when the Ravens' starting line-up is announced.)

With or Without You


Overall, the show was fun but I am sorry to say, a bit disappointing.  Maybe if I had sat closer, I would have felt the energy of the crowd more.  Also, I have heard that the audio quality is better in an arena.  Unfortunately, U2 may not get another chance to impress me.

Here are a few pictures from the show:


BJ and Me

Gotti

No comments:

Post a Comment