Friday, June 10, 2011

June Tunes

I am still waiting for an album to knock me over.  While I am waiting for that to happen, here are a couple of cool tunes to check out:

I posted about Foster the People back in March, but they recently released their first full length album, Torches.  It does not have much diversity but it is still a quality debut album.  If you are a fan of Passion Pit or MGMT, you will enjoy Foster The People.  I fully expect several songs to get airplay on mainstream radio.  "Pumped Up Kicks" may have already peaked but "Helena Beat" is on the rise.  The whole album is solid and will very likely make my Top Ten Albums of 2011.

My buddy, Steve Glass, introduced me to this next artist (I think it is his cousin).  His name is Kam Royal.  I am really enjoying his sharp-tongued, quick-witted prose and style.  I have not digested the entire album, but after one listen, it has me very intrigued.  I look forward to diving into it a bit deeper.  Keep up the good work Kam Royal.  Check out "Dude".  The Glass family should be proud.


Kanye West's masterpiece My Dark Twisted Beautiful Fantasy was my favorite disc of 2010 and the quality songs just keep rolling off of this album halfway through 2011.  The centerpiece song in my opinion is "Monster".  Kanye finally edited his video of this song so that it could be played on Mtv.  It is still misogynistic and gruesome but artful and brilliant nonetheless.  I am posting the unedited version so be careful around children.  Also, I have added the thirty minute continuous video, Runaway, with several threaded songs from this album.  The imagery on this mini-movie is staggering and Kanye's genius jumps off the screen.  It is DEFINITELY worth thirty minutes of your life.




My Morning Jacket has a new album, Circuital, that has encouraging signs after my first listen.  There is a bit of a buzz about them playing Bonaroo this weekend.  Check out the title track, Circuital and Holdin On To Black Metal.

 



I am digging the first song off of Coldplay's new album.  The song is called "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall".  It has that anthem chorus that Coldplay has patented.  It will surely make its way up the charts.


Daniele Luppi and Danger Mouse combined to write and produce Rome.  Norah Jones and Jack White get the vocals for three songs each.  The whole album has a cool, sultry feel that is worth a listen.  Check out Two Against One and Season's Trees.





Ready for my first ever gospel song?  Yup, I said gospel.  Check out Kirk Franklin performing I Smile.  Try not to snap to it.  Virtually impossible.  Enjoy!


Ready for my first country song?  Yup, I said country.  Jake Owen's third album will be released shortly.  This song, Barefoot Blue Jean Night, sounds best with a Budweiser in your hand.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment